Federal Register of Legislation - Australian Government

Primary content

Proclamations/Other as amended, taking into account amendments up to Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection - Historic Sites and Monuments) Amendment Proclamation 2010 (No. 1)
This Proclamation delcares Historic Sites and Monuments adopted by the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Parties under Annex V to the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty in domestic law.
Administered by: Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
Registered 25 Nov 2010
Start Date 19 Nov 2010
End Date 14 Dec 2011

Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection — Historic Sites and Monuments) Proclamation 2007

as amended

made under subsection 8A (1) of the

This compilation was prepared on 19 November 2010
taking into account amendments up to Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection — Historic Sites and Monuments) Amendment Proclamation 2010 (No. 1)

Prepared by the Office of Legislative Drafting and Publishing,
Attorney-General’s Department, Canberra


Contents

                        1     Name of Proclamation [see Note 1]                                                       3

                        2     Commencement [see Note 1]                                                               3

                        3     Declaration of historic sites and monuments                                          3

                        4     Revocation                                                                                          3

Schedule 1             Historic sites and monuments                                                           4

Notes                                                                                                                              16

 


  

  

1              Name of Proclamation [see Note 1]

                This Proclamation is the Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection — Historic Sites and Monuments) Proclamation 2007.

2              Commencement [see Note 1]

                This Proclamation commences on the day after it is registered.

3              Declaration of historic sites and monuments

                Each site or monument specified in an item in Schedule 1, being a site or monument approved by the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Parties for listing as an historic site or monument under Article 8 of Annex V to the Madrid Protocol, is declared to be an historic site or an historic monument.

Note   Complete details of Antarctic historic sites and monuments are available at http://cep.ats.aq/cep/apa/index.html.

4              Revocation

                The Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection — Historic Sites and Monuments) Proclamation 2004 is revoked.


Schedule 1        Historic sites and monuments

(section 3)

  

Note 1   The Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting neither approves, nor disapproves of the place names used in the listing below.

Note 2   Site numbers 12 and 13 have been subsumed into historic site number 77. Site numbers 25, 31 and 58 have been de‑listed.

 

Number

Description

Location

1

Flag mast at South Pole
Flag mast erected in December 1965 at the South Geographical Pole by the First Argentine Overland Polar Expedition.

90° S

2

Rock cairn and plaques on Ongul Island, Prins Harald Kyst
Rock cairn and plaques at Syowa Station in memory of Shin Fukushima, a member of the 4th Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition, who died in October 1960 while performing official duties. The cairn was erected on 11 January 1961, by his colleagues. Some of his ashes repose in the cairn.

69° 00¢ S, 39° 35¢ E

3

Rock cairn and plaque on Proclamation Island, Enderby Land
Rock cairn and plaque erected in January 1930 by Sir Douglas Mawson. The cairn and plaque commemorate the landing on Proclamation Island of Sir Douglas Mawson with a party from the British, Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition of 1929–31.

65° 51¢ S, 53° 41¢ E

4

Bust and plaque at ‘Pole of Inaccessibility’
Station building to which a bust of V.I. Lenin is fixed, together with a plaque in memory of the conquest of the Pole of Inaccessibility by Soviet Antarctic explorers in 1958.

83° 06¢ S, 54° 58¢ E

5

Rock cairn and plaque at Cape Bruce, Mac. Robertson Land
Rock cairn and plaque, erected in February 1931 by Sir Douglas Mawson. The cairn and plaque commemorate the landing on Cape Bruce of Sir Douglas Mawson with a party from the British, Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition of 1929–31.

67° 25¢ S, 60° 47¢ E

6

Rock cairn and canister at Walkabout Rocks, Vestfold Hills, Princess Elizabeth Land
Rock cairn erected in 1939 by Sir Hubert Wilkins. The cairn houses a canister containing a record of his visit.

68° 22¢ S, 78° 33¢ E

7

Stone and plaque at Mabus Point, Queen Mary Land
Stone with inscribed plaque, erected at Mirny Observatory, Mabus Point, in memory of driver‑mechanic Ivan Kharma who perished on fast ice in the performance of official duties in 1956.

66° 33¢ S, 93° 01¢ E

8

Monument sledge and plaque at Mabus Point, Queen Mary Land
Metal monument‑sledge at Mirny Observatory, Mabus Point, with plaque in memory of driver‑mechanic Anatoly Shcheglov who perished in the performance of official duties.

66° 33¢ S, 93° 01¢ E

9

Cemetery on Buromskiy Island, Queen Mary Land
Cemetery on Buromskiy Island, near Mirny Observatory, in which are buried Soviet, Czechoslovakian and GDR citizens, members of Soviet Antarctic Expeditions, who perished in the performance of official duties on 3 August 1960.

66° 32¢ S, 93° 01¢ E

10

Observatory at Bunger Hills, Queen Mary Land
Building (magnetic observatory) at Dobrowolsky Station, Bunger Hills, with plaque in memory of the opening of Oasis Station in 1956.

66° 16¢ S, 100° 45¢ E

11

Tractor and plaque at Vostok Station
Heavy tractor at Vostok Station with plaque in memory of the opening of the Station in 1957.

78° 28¢ S, 106° 48¢ E

14

Ice cave at Inexpressible Island, Terra Nova Bay, Scott Coast
Site of ice cave at Inexpressible Island, Terra Nova Bay, constructed in March 1912 by Victor Campbell’s Northern Party, British Antarctic Expedition, 1910–13. The party spent the winter of 1912 in this ice cave. A wooden sign, plaque and seal bones remain at the site.

74° 54¢ S, 163° 43¢ E

15

Hut at Cape Royds, Ross Island
Hut built in February 1908 by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1907–09, led by Sir Ernest Shackleton. Restored in January 1961 by the Antarctic Division of New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.

77° 33¢ S, 166° 10¢ E

16

Hut at Cape Evans, Ross Island
Hut built in January 1911 by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910–13, led by Captain Robert F. Scott. Restored in January 1961 by the Antarctic Division of New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.

77° 38¢ S, 166° 24¢ E

17

Cross at Cape Evans, Ross Island
Cross on Wind Vane Hill, Cape Evans, Ross Island, erected by the Ross Sea Party, led by Captain Aeneas Mackintosh, of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s Imperial Trans‑Antarctic Expedition of 1914–16, in memory of three members of the party who died in the vicinity in 1916.

77° 38¢ S, 166° 24¢ E

18

Hut at Hut Point, Ross Island
Hut built in February 1902 by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1901–04, led by Captain Robert F. Scott. Partially restored in January 1964 by the New Zealand Antarctic Society, with assistance from the United States Government.

77° 50¢ S, 166° 37¢ E

19

Cross at Hut Point, Ross Island
Cross erected in February 1904 by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1901–04, in memory of George Vince, a member of the expedition, who died in the vicinity.

77° 50¢ S, 166° 37¢ E

20

Cross on Observation Hill, Ross Island
Cross erected in January 1913 by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910–13, in memory of Captain Robert F. Scott’s party which perished on the return journey from the South Pole in March 1912.

77° 51¢ S, 166° 41¢ E

21

Hut at Cape Crozier, Ross Island
Remains of stone hut constructed in July 1911 by Edward Wilson’s party of the British Antarctic Expedition (1910–13) during the winter journey to collect Emperor penguin eggs.

77° 31¢ S, 169° 22¢ E

22

Hut at Cape Adare, Borchgrevink Coast
Three huts and associated historic relics at Cape Adare. Two were built in February 1899 during the British Antarctic (Southern Cross) Expedition, 1898–1900, led by Carsten E. Borchgrevink. The third was built in February 1911 by Robert F. Scott’s Northern Party, led by Victor L. A. Campbell. Scott’s Northern Party hut has largely collapsed with only the porch standing in 2002.

71° 18¢ S, 170° 12¢ E

23

Grave at Cape Adare, Borchgrevink Coast
Grave at Cape Adare of Norwegian biologist Nicolai Hanson, a member of the British Antarctic (Southern Cross) Expedition, 1898 –1900, led by Carsten E. Borchgrevink. A large boulder marks the head of the grave with the grave itself outlined in white quartz stones. A cross and plaque are attached to the boulder.

71° 17¢ S, 170° 13¢ E

24

Rock cairn at Mount Betty, Queen Maud Range
Rock cairn, known as ‘Amundsen’s cairn’, on Mount Betty, Queen Maud Range erected by Roald Amundsen on 6 January 1912, on his way back to Framheim from the South Pole.

85° 11¢ S, 163° 45¢ W

26

Installations at Barry Island, Debenham Islands, Marguerite Bay, Antarctic Peninsula
Abandoned installations of Argentine Station ‘General San Martin’ on Barry Island, Debenham Islands, Marguerite Bay, with cross, flag mast, and monolith built in 1951.

68° 08¢ S, 67° 08¢ W

27

Cairn with plaque at Megalestris Hill, Petermann Island, Antarctic Peninsula
Cairn with a replica of a lead plaque erected on Megalestris Hill, Petermann Island, in 1909 by the second French expedition led by Jean‑Baptiste E. A. Charcot. The original plaque is in the reserves of the Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle (Paris).

65° 10¢ S, 64° 09¢ W

28

Cairn, pillar and plaque at Port Charcot, Booth Island, Antarctic Peninsula
Rock cairn with wooden pillar and plaque inscribed with the names of the first French expedition led by Jean‑Baptiste E. A. Charcot which wintered here in 1904 aboard Le Français.

65° 03¢ S, 64° 01¢ W

29

Lighthouse on Lambda Island, Melchior Islands, Antarctic Peninsula
Lighthouse named ‘Primero de Mayo’ erected by Argentina in 1942. This was the first Argentine lighthouse in the Antarctic.

64° 18¢ S, 62° 59¢ W

30

Shelter at Paradise Harbour, Danco Coast, Antarctic Peninsula
Shelter erected in 1950 near the Chilean Base ‘Gabriel Gonzalez Videla’ to honour Gabriel Gonzalez Videla, the first Head of State to visit the Antarctic. The shelter is a representative example of pre‑IGY activity and constitutes an important national commemoration.

64° 49¢ S, 62° 51¢ W

32

Monolith on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands
Concrete monolith erected in 1947, near Capitán Arturo Prat Base on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Point of reference for Chilean Antarctic hydrographic surveys. The monolith is representative of an important pre‑IGY activity and is currently preserved and maintained by personnel from Prat Base.

62° 28¢ S, 59° 40¢ W

33

Shelter, cross and plaque on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands
Shelter and cross with plaque near Capitán Arturo Prat Base (Chile), Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Named in memory of Lieutenant‑Commander González Pacheco, who died in 1960 while in charge of the station. The monument commemorates events related to a person whose role and the circumstances of his death have a symbolic value and the potential to educate people about significant human activities in Antarctica.

62° 29¢ S, 59° 40¢ W

34

Bust on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands
Bust at Capitán Arturo Prat Base (Chile), Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands, of the Chilean naval hero Arturo Prat, erected in 1947. The monument is representative of pre‑IGY activities and has symbolic value in the context of Chilean presence in Antarctica.

62° 50¢ S, 59° 41¢ W

35

Cross and statue on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands
Wooden cross and statue of the Virgin of Carmen erected in 1947 near Capitán Arturo Prat Base (Chile), Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. The monument is representative of pre‑IGY activities and has a particularly symbolic and architectural value.

62° 29¢ S, 59° 40¢ W

36

Plaque at Potter Cove, King George Island, South Shetland Islands
Replica of a metal plaque erected by Eduard Dallmann at Potter Cove, King George Island, to commemorate the visit of his German expedition on 1 March 1874 on board Grönland.

62° 14¢ S, 58° 39¢ W

37

Statue at Trinity Peninsula, Antarctic Peninsula
Statue erected in 1948 at General Bernardo O’Higgins Base (Chile), Trinity Peninsula, of Bernardo O’Higgins, the first ruler of Chile to envisage the importance of Antarctica. This monument is representative of pre‑IGY activities in Antarctica and has a symbolic meaning in the history of Antarctic exploration since it was during O’Higgins’ government that the vessel Dragon landed on the coast of the Antarctic Peninsula in 1820.

63° 19¢ S, 57° 54¢ W

38

Hut on Snow Hill Island, Antarctic Peninsula
Wooden hut built in February 1902 by the main party of the Swedish South Polar Expedition led by Otto Nordenskjöld.

64° 22¢ S, 56° 59¢ W

39

Hut at Hope Bay, Trinity Peninsula, Antarctic Peninsula
Stone hut built in January 1903 by a party of the Swedish South Polar Expedition.

63° 24¢ S, 56° 59¢ W

40

Bust, grotto, statue, flag mast, graveyard and stele at Hope Bay, Trinity Peninsula, Antarctic Peninsula
Bust of General San Martin, grotto with a statue of the Virgin of Lujan, and a flag mast at Base ‘Esperanza’, Hope Bay, erected by Argentina in 1955; together with a graveyard with stele in memory of members of Argentine expeditions who died in the area.

63° 24¢ S, 56° 59¢ W

41

Hut and grave on Paulet Island, Antarctic Peninsula
Stone hut built in February 1903 by survivors of the wrecked vessel Antarctic under Captain Carl A. Larsen, members of the Swedish South Polar Expedition led by Otto Nordenskjöld, together with a grave of a member of the expedition and the rock cairn built by the survivors of the wreck at the highest point of the island to draw the attention of rescue expeditions.

63° 34¢ S, 55° 45¢ W

42

Huts, magnetic observatory and graveyard at Scotia Bay, Laurie Island, South Orkney Islands
Area of Scotia Bay, Laurie Island, South Orkney Island, in which are found: stone hut built in 1903 by the Scottish Antarctic Expedition led by William S. Bruce; the Argentine meteorological hut and magnetic observatory, built in 1905 and known as Moneta House; and a graveyard with twelve graves, the earliest of which dates from 1903.

60° 46¢ S, 44° 40¢ W

43

Cross at ‘Piedrabuena Bay’, Filchner Ice Front, Weddell Sea
Cross erected in 1955, at a distance of 1 300 metres north‑east of the Argentine General Belgrano I Station (Argentina) and subsequently moved to Belgrano II Station (Argentina), Nunatak Bertrab, Confin Coast, Coats Land in 1979.

77° 52¢ S, 34° 37¢ W

44

Plaque at Nivlisen ice front, Prinsesse Astrid Kyst, Dronning Maud Land
Plaque erected at the temporary Indian station ‘Dakshin Gangotri’, Princess Astrid Kyst, Dronning Maud Land, listing the names of the First Indian Antarctic Expedition which landed nearby on 9 January 1982.

70° 45¢ S, 11° 38¢ E

45

Plaque at Metchnikoff Point, Brabant Island, Antarctic Peninsula
Plaque mounted at a height of 70 m on the crest of the moraine separating this point from the glacier and bearing the following inscription:

This monument was built by François de Gerlache and other members of the Joint Services Expedition 1983–85 to commemorate the first landing on Brabant Island by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897–99: Adrien de Gerlache (Belgium) leader, Roald Amundsen (Norway), Henryk Arctowski (Poland), Frederick Cook (USA) and Emile Danco (Belgium) camped nearby from 30 January to 6 February 1898.

64° 02¢ S, 62° 34¢ W

46

Buildings and installations at Port‑Martin, Terre Adélie
All the buildings and installations of Port Martin base, Terre Adélie constructed in 1950 by the 3rd French expedition in Terre Adélie and partly destroyed by fire during the night of 23 to 24 January 1952.

66° 49¢ S, 141° 24¢ E

47

Building on Île des Pétrels, Terre Adélie
Wooden building called ‘Base Marret’ on the Ile des Pétrels, Terre Adélie, where seven men under the command of Mario Marret wintered in 1952 following the fire at Port Martin base.

66° 40¢ S, 140° 01¢ E

48

Cross on Île des Pétrels, Terre Adélie
Iron cross on the north‑east headland of the Ile des Pétrels, Terre Adélie, dedicated as a memorial to André Prudhomme, head meteorologist in the 3rd International Geophysical Year expedition who disappeared during a blizzard on 7 January 1959.

66° 40¢ S, 140° 01¢ E

49

Pillar at Bunger Hill, Queen Mary Land
The concrete pillar erected by the First Polish Antarctic Expedition at Dobrolowski Station on the Bunger Hill to measure acceleration due to gravity g = 982 439.4 ± 0.4 mgal in relation to Warsaw, according to the Potsdam system, in January 1959.

66° 16¢ S, 100° 45¢ E

50

Plaque at Fildes Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands
A brass plaque bearing the Polish Eagle, the national emblem of Poland, the dates 1975 and 1976, and the following text in Polish, English and Russian:

In memory of the landing of members of the first Polish Antarctic marine research expedition on the vessels ‘Profesor Siedlecki’ and ‘Tazar’ in February 1976.

This plaque, south‑west of the Chilean and Soviet stations, is mounted on a cliff facing Maxwell Bay, Fildes Peninsula, King George Island.

62° 12¢ S, 59° 01¢ W

51

Grave and cross at Admiralty Bay, King George Island, South Shetland Islands
The grave of Wlodzimierz Puchalski, surmounted by an iron cross, on a hill to the south of Arctowski station on King George Island. W. Puchalski was an artist and a producer of documentary nature films, who died on 19 January 1979 whilst working at the station.

62° 13¢ S, 58° 28¢ W

52

Monolith at Fildes Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands
Monolith erected to commemorate the establishment on 20 February 1985 by the Peoples Republic of China of the ‘Great Wall Station’ on Fildes Peninsula, King George Island, in the South Shetland Islands. Engraved on the monolith is the following inscription in Chinese:

Great Wall Station, First Chinese Antarctic Research Expedition, 20 February 1985.

62° 13¢ S, 58° 58¢ W


53

Monolith and plaques on Elephant Island, South Shetland Islands
Bust of Captain Luis Alberto Pardo, monolith and plaques on Point Wild, Elephant Island, South Shetland Islands, celebrating the rescue of the survivors of the British ship Endurance by the Chilean Navy cutter Yelcho displaying the following words:

Here on August 30th , 1916, the Chilean Navy cutter Yelcho commanded by Pilot Luis Pardo Villalón rescued the 22 men from the Shackleton Expedition who survived the wreck of the ‘Endurance’ living for four and one half months in this Island.

The Monolith and the plaques have been placed on Elephant Island and their replicas on the Chilean bases Capitan Arturo Prat (62° 30¢ S, 59° 49¢ W) and President Eduardo Frei (62° 12¢ S, 62° 12¢ W). Bronze busts of the pilot Luis Pardo Villalón were placed on the three above‑mentioned monoliths during the XXIVth Chilean Antarctic Scientific Expedition in 1987–88.

61° 03¢ S, 54° 50¢ W

54

Bust on Ross Island
Richard E. Byrd Historic Monument, McMurdo Station, Antarctica. Bronze bust on black marble, 5 ft high × 2 ft square, on wood platform, bearing inscriptions describing the polar achievements of Richard Evelyn Byrd. Erected at McMurdo Station in 1965.

77° 51¢ S, 166° 40¢ E

55

Buildings and artefacts on Stonington Island, Marguerite Bay, Antarctic Peninsula
East Base, Antarctica, Stonington Island. Buildings and artefacts at East Base, Stonington Island and their immediate environs. These structures were erected and used during two U.S. wintering expeditions: the Antarctic Service Expedition (1939–41) and the Ronne Antarctic Research Expedition (1947–48). The size of the historic area is approximately 1 000 metres in the north‑south direction (from the beach to Northeast Glacier adjacent to Back Bay) and approximately 500 metres in the east‑west direction.

68° 11¢ S, 67° 00¢ W

56

Remains of hut and environs at Waterboat Point, Danco Coast, Antarctic Peninsula
The remains and immediate environs of the Waterboat Point hut. It was occupied by the UK two‑man expedition of Thomas W. Bagshawe and Maxime C. Lester in 1921–22. Only the base of the boat, foundations of doorposts and an outline of the hut and extension still exist. It is situated close to the Chilean station ‘President Gabriel Gonzáles Videla’.

64° 49¢ S, 62° 51¢ W

57

Plaque at ‘Yankee Bay’ (Yankee Harbour), MacFarlane Strait, Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands
Commemorative plaque at ‘Yankee Bay’ (Yankee Harbour), MacFarlane Strait, Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Near a Chilean refuge. Erected to the memory of Captain Andrew MacFarlane, who in 1820 explored the Antarctic Peninsula area in the brigantine Dragon.

62° 32¢ S, 59° 45¢ W

59

Cairn on Half Moon Beach, Cape Shirreff, Livingston Island, South Shetland Islands
A cairn on Half Moon Beach, Cape Shirreff, Livingston Island, South Shetland Islands and a plaque on ‘Cerro Gaviota’ opposite San Telmo Islets commemorating the officers, soldiers and seamen aboard the Spanish vessel San Telmo, which sank in September 1819; possibly the first people to live and die in Antarctica.

62° 28¢ S, 60° 46¢ W

60

Plaque and cairn at ‘Penguins Bay’, Seymour Island, James Ross Island archipelago
Wooden plaque and cairn located at Penguins Bay, southern coast of Seymour Island (Marambio), James Ross Archipelago. This plaque was placed on 10 November 1903 by the crew of a rescue mission of the Argentinean corvette Uruguay in the site where they met the members of the Swedish expedition led by Dr Otto Nordenskjöld. The text of the wooden plaque reads as follows:

10.XI.1903 Uruguay (Argentine Navy) in its journey to give assistance to the Swedish Antarctic expedition.

In January 1990, a rock cairn was erected by Argentina in memory of this event in the place where the plaque is located.

64° 16¢ S, 56° 39¢ W

61

‘Base A’ at Port Lockroy, Goudier Island, off Wiencke Island, Antarctic Peninsula
Of historic importance as an Operation Tabarin base from 1944 and for scientific research, including the first measurements of the ionosphere, and the first recording of an atmospheric whistler, from Antarctica. Port Lockroy was a key monitoring site during the International Geophysical Year of 1957–58.

64° 49¢ S, 63° 29¢ W


62

‘Base F (Wordie House)’ on Winter Island, Argentine Islands
Of historic importance as an example of an early British scientific base.

65° 15¢ S, 64° 16¢ W

63

‘Base Y’ on Horseshoe Island, Marguerite Bay, western Graham Land
Noteworthy as a relatively unaltered and completely equipped British scientific base of the late 1950s. ‘Blaiklock’, the refuge hut nearby, is considered an integral part of the base.

67° 48¢ S, 67° 18¢ W

64

‘Base E’ on Stonington Island, Marguerite Bay, western Graham Land
Of historical importance in the early period of exploration and later British Antarctic Survey (BAS) history of the 1960s and 1970s.

68° 11¢ S, 67° 00¢ W

65

Message post on Foyn Island, Possession Islands
A pole with a box attached was placed on the island on 16 January 1895 during the whaling expedition of Henryk Bull and Captain Leonard Kristensen of the ship Antarctic. It was examined and found intact by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1898–1900 and then sighted from the beach by the USS Edisto in 1956 and USCGS Glacier in 1965.

71° 56¢ S, 171° 05¢ W

66

Cairn at Scott Nunataks, Alexandra Mountains
Prestrud’s Cairn, Scott Nunataks, Alexandra Mountains, Edward VII Peninsula. The small rock cairn was erected at the foot of the main bluff on the north side of the nunataks by Lieutenant K. Prestrud on 3 December 1911 during the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition of 1910–12.

77° 11¢ S, 154° 32¢ W


67

Rock shelter ‘Granite House’ at Cape Geology, Granite Harbour
This shelter was constructed in 1911 for use as a field kitchen by Griffith Taylor’s second geological excursion during the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910–13. It was enclosed on three sides with granite boulder walls and used a sledge to support a seal‑skin roof. The stone walls of the shelter have partially collapsed. The shelter contains corroded remnants of tins, a seal skin and some cord. The sledge is now located 50 m seaward of the shelter and consists of a few scattered pieces of wood, straps and buckles.

77° 00¢ S, 162° 32¢ E

68

Depot at Hells Gate Moraine, Inexpressible Island, Terra Nova Bay
This emergency depot consisted of a sledge loaded with supplies and equipment which was placed on 25 January 1913 by the British Antarctic Expedition, 1910–13. The sledge and supplies were removed in 1994 in order to stabilize their deteriorating condition.

74° 52¢ S, 163° 50¢ E

69

Message post at Cape Crozier, Ross Island
Erected on 22 January 1902 by Captain Robert F. Scott’s Discovery Expedition of 1901–04. It was to provide information for the expedition’s relief ships, and held a metal message cylinder, which has since been removed.

77° 27¢ S, 169° 16¢ E

70

Message post at Cape Wadworth, Coulman Island
A metal cylinder nailed to a red pole 8 m above sea level placed by Captain Robert F. Scott on 15 January 1902. He painted the rocks behind the post red and white to make it more conspicuous.

73° 19¢ S, 169° 47¢ E


71

Whaling station at Whalers Bay, Deception Island
Whalers Bay, Deception Island, South Shetland Islands. The site comprises all pre‑1970 remains on the shore of Whalers Bay, including those from the early whaling period (1906–12) initiated by Captain Adolfus Andresen of the Sociedad Ballenera de Magallanes, Chile; the remains of the Norwegian Hektor Whaling Station established in 1912 and all artefacts associated with its operation until 1931; the site of a cemetery with 35 burials and a memorial to ten men lost at sea; and the remains from the period of British scientific and mapping activity (1944–69). The site also acknowledges and commemorates the historic value of other events that occurred there, from which nothing remains.

62° 59¢ S, 60° 34¢ W

72

Cairn on Tryne Islands, Vestfold Hills
A rock cairn and a wooden mast erected by the landing party led by Captain Klarius Mikkelsen of the Norwegian whaling ship Thorshavn and including Caroline Mikkelsen, Captain Mikkelsen’s wife, the first woman to set foot on East Antarctica. The cairn was discovered by Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition field parties in 1957 and again in 1995.

68° 22¢ S 78° 24¢ E

73

Memorial Cross, Lewis Bay, Ross Island
Memorial Cross for the 1979 Mount Erebus crash victims, Lewis Bay, Ross Island. A cross of stainless steel which was erected in January 1987 on a rocky promontory three kilometres from the Mount Erebus crash site in memory of the 257 people of different nationalities who lost their lives when the aircraft in which they were travelling crashed into the lower slopes of Mount Erebus, Ross Island. The cross was erected as a mark of respect and in remembrance of those who died in the tragedy.

77° 25¢ S, 167° 27¢ E

74

Wreckage of sailing ship, Elephant Island, South Shetland Islands
The unnamed cove on the south‑west coast of Elephant Island, including the foreshore and the intertidal area, in which the wreckage of a large wooden sailing vessel is located.

61° 14¢ S, 55° 22¢ W

75

‘A Hut’, Pram Point, Ross Island
The A Hut of Scott Base, being the only existing Trans Antarctic Expedition 1956–57 building in Antarctica sited at Pram Point, Ross Island, Ross Sea Region, Antarctica.

77° 51¢ S, 166° 46¢ E


76

Ruins of base ‘Pedro Aguirre Cerda’, Pendulum Cove, Deception Island
The ruins of the Base Pedro Aguirre Cerda Station, being a Chilean meteorological and volcanological centre situated at Pendulum Cove, Deception Island, Antarctica, which was destroyed by volcanic eruptions in 1967 and 1969.

62° 59¢ S, 60° 40¢ W

77

Cape Denison
Cape Denison, Commonwealth Bay, George V Land, including Boat Harbour and the historic artefacts contained within its waters. Site incorporated within Antarctic Specially Managed Area No. 3. Part of this site is also designated as Antarctic Specially Protected Area No. 162.

67° 00¢ 30² S, 142° 39¢ 40² E

78

Memorial plaque at India Point
Memorial plaque at India Point, Humboldt Mountains, Wohlthat Massif, central Dronning Maud Land erected in memory of three scientists of the Geological Survey of India (GSI) and a communication technician from the Indian Navy — all members of the ninth Indian Expedition to Antarctica, who sacrificed their lives in this mountain camp in an accident on 8 January 1990.

71° 45¢ 08² S, 11° 12¢ 30² E

79

Lillie Marleen Hut, Mt. Dockery, Everett Range, Northern Victoria Land
Lillie Marleen Hut was erected to support the work of the German Antarctic Northern Victoria Land Expedition (GANOVEX I) of 1979–80. The hut, a bivouac container made of prefabricated fibreglass units insulated with polyurethane foam, was named after the Lillie Glacier and the song ‘Lillie Marleen’. The hut is closely associated with the dramatic sinking of the expedition ship ‘Gotland II’ during GANOVEX II in December 1981.

71° 12¢ S, 164° 31¢ E

80

Amundsen’s Tent
The tent was erected at 90° by the Norwegian group of explorers led by Roald Amundsen on their arrival at the South Pole on 14 December 1911. The tent is currently buried underneath the snow and ice in the vicinity of the South Pole.

In the vicinity of 90° S

81

Rocher du Débarquement (Landing Rock)
Rocher du Débarquement (Landing Rock) is a small island where Admiral d’Urville and his crew landed on 21 January 1840 when he discovered Terre Adélie.

66° 36.30¢ S, 140° 03.85¢ E

82

Monument to the Antarctic Treaty and plaque
The monument is located near the Frei, Bellingshausen and Escudero Bases, at Fildes Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands. The plaque at the foot of the monument commemorates the signatory States to the Treaty, and successive International Polar Years (1882–‍1883, 1932–1933 and 2007–2008).

62° 12¢ 01² S, 58° 57¢ 41² W

83

Base ‘W’, Detaille Island, Lallemand Fjord, Loubet Coast
Base ‘W’ is situated on a narrow isthmus at the northern end of Detaille Island, Lallemand Fjord, Loubet Coast. The base was established in 1956 as a British science base primarily for survey, geology and meteorology and to contribute to the International Geophysical Year in 1957.

66° 52¢ S,
66° 38¢ W

84

Hut at Damoy Point, Dorian Bay, Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago
The site consists of a well-preserved hut which contains scientific equipment and other artefacts. The hut was erected in 1973 and used as a British Summer air facility and transit station for scientific personnel. The hut was last occupied in 1993.

64° 49¢ S,
63° 31¢ W

 


Notes to the Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection — Historic Sites and Monuments) Proclamation 2007

Note 1

The Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection — Historic Sites and Monuments) Proclamation 2007 (in force under subsection 8A (1) of the Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection) Act 1980) as shown in this compilation is amended as indicated in the Tables below.

Table of Instruments

Title

Date of FRLI registration

Date of
commencement

Application, saving or
transitional provisions

Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection — Historic Sites and Monuments) Proclamation 2007

29 Aug 2007 (see F2007L02623)

30 Aug 2007

 

Antarctic Treaty (Environment Protection — Historic Sites and Monuments) Amendment Proclamation 2010 (No. 1)

18 Nov 2010 (see F2010L03020)

19 Nov 2010

Table of Amendments

ad. = added or inserted      am. = amended      rep. = repealed      rs. = repealed and substituted

Provision affected

How affected

Schedule 1

 

Schedule 1............................

am. 2010 No. 1